Has anyone plugged in their landing pages and tracking domain to Trafficvance or LeadImpact to check how many bidders there are? My ROI recently crashed on one of my big campaigns and I’m wondering if this has something to do with it. I found my LP has close to 20 bidders and my tracking domain about half that. A month ago there were no bidders, and ROI was great.
I’ve been running this campaign for over a year spending at least $5k /day on it, rotating both lp domains and creatives — so I have some good historical data.
Now here’s why I think these bidders could potentially be having an effect.
My LP flow is like this:
pv lander –> click to lp 2 –> click to lp3 for the lead
Users are still converting at the same % on lp3. The number that has changed is the % of people going from ppv lander –> lp2. It’s dropped by about 75%. People are closing out much faster, even on fresh creatives. Increasing freq cap has had little effect, even at 2 weeks.
I spoke to TV, and they claim this would never be an issue with their adserving algo. Then again, they have also been found claiming text links don’t appear on served pops–and they do.
I’m going to launch a split test, and copy my creatives over to a fresh domain that will have no bidders for a few weeks to see how that does. I’ll report back.
yes this happens all the time…..you need to rotate out your lp domains all the time…after about a month on ppv you will find bidders on every part of your linkage…..
Would it make sense to put your LP or tracking domain on an SSL? I know that LI doesn’t pop on SSL, what about TV?
I suppose it couldn’t hurt. I just launched a clone of my creatives on a virgin domain, we’ll see what happens.
Yes, ssl sites solve that problem and introduce a new one. Lag.
But if u are going from winning to losing. Looks like u have no other choice.
Ya, the lag that SSL introduces in the initial ‘handshake’ could be enough to kill your campaign. Lots of PPV users go straight to the X, so any added load time is gonna hurt you. Here are a few links that show benchmarks of SSL vs regular HTTP.
They seem to range from 3.5x slowdown to around 60x slowdown. I do what polar suggests and swap out my urls every 2 weeks or so and always keep a separate low budget campaign with all of my own urls in there so I can quickly check to see if people are bidding on my urls. Also, consider changing up your filenames every once in a while. This is especially important for leadimpact where people will bid on certain pages (or even parts of pages ie: step2.ph) in your path to pop over you.
wow, is the ppv adware so widely in use that it would really cause this issue?
I think OP was talking about pops over his pops
Exactly. What set off red flags to me was when I spoke with some of the guys at TV and they adamantly claimed that would never happen. They claimed the same thing about TV text links never appearing on a popped ad — but this is widely observed occurrence.
Early tests show a 5-19% improvement across ~ 200,000 views. I’ll follow up in a few days with more results.
that would be what I see is an avg clean up when you get new urls.
main reason is the blocking technology also does not have your "number" IE: WOT and others
now to see if your ROI improves since that is actual people vs bots and such.
So some results after 500k views…
negligible. Maybe a 1-2% difference favoring the new domain. So maybe TV is right w/ regards to serving pops on pops.
Thanks for the informative scoop, LI on the other hand… Pretty sure they pop on pops though.
in my experience, never had pops on pops on TV. I believe they have some sort of time delay before they show the next pop.
On LI i have to change my domain every week. ive seen 5 pops in a row, each was a different advertiser bidding on another’s LP causing a chain reaction.
Do you suggest we change the landing url in LI/TV ? Or what if we use a domain likes 34823482384adad.com and then do a 302 forward from that to another domain? Will they
just bid on the 38484 domain or will they bid on the domain that has the content?
They will bid on the domain that has the content.
On TV I never had such problems but on LI you gotta change domains every week to stay profitable.
Thanks god they are slow to approve urls or I would have to change domains daily!
Wow I never thought of that, just did a quick test on my cpvlabs redirect link to see diff between ssl and non and it wasn’t all that bad
although this is just a redirect not sure how much lag there would be for landers with content.
One possible solution would be use catchall sub domains
Seems a lot easier than changing domains weekly…That delay is not too bad.
ssl works but is not perfect
it will also stop intext links from places like 50onRed and TV
check that your path has no common keywords like coupon in it either which could cause people to pop
use a piece of script that always forces your lander to be on top its on the forum
some people claim success with iframing their main page, but ive not tested this. So what you would do is:
LI popup loads your campaign URL which is a temp domain that you refresh every week/month, on that domain you have a simple page that just iframes your main lander.
The last thing you could try is bid on some obscure section of your URL and bid high, but set a low budget. Then whenever you see that keyword popup on your tracker you know someone else is popping over you.