I’m testing a new offer that’s already running at volume and I’m getting some huge click loss (outbound clicks from landers).
I’ve tested it across 3 different tracking platforms and 2 sever configurations to try and isolate my side of the technical layer. it doesn’t matter what I seem to do, it’s the same deal across all tracking/servers.
– 3k clicks (outbound), 400 recorded at the network. Testing 3 landers, CTR sits between 45-60%.
– Landers are super light running on a dedicated server. I also tested setting them up straight on a CDN (rackspace).
– I’m using 302 redirects so there’s no cache clearing that might effect load time.
– I where goesed the link and the network has the offer direct.
– The offer platform specific but accepts all devices.
– Landers are owned so no booby traps etc.
– Not enough volume for the network/advertiser to want to pawn me.
– Based on the conversations with the network it looks like the issue is isolated to just me. They’re going to investigate though.
– The campaign is running on a reputable traffic source, talked about a lot on the board. It doesn’t look like theres a ton of junk traffic.
If it is just a problem with my traffic it’s got to be something I’m doing or an issue with my link.
Something I didn’t test was direct linking straight to the offer. I’ll give that a shot. If click loss drops significantly then obviously its the server/lander/tracking layer, but I can’t really see how given how i’ve got the campaign setup.
Whilst there’s not a ton of data there, the overall lost volume will definitely kill meaningful data and the campaign.
Any of you folks got any ideas? Is there something I haven’t thought about that I should be looking at?
what kind of devices are you targeting ? feature phones, for example, are known to cause this issue
did you find out which carrier is losing more clicks ?
I’m running it across all android devices.
Good question. I’m not passing data back to the network. Nothing in the tracking data looks all that funky.
Can you set up your own "network" to test the funnel?
What I’d do here would be to set up a web server running HTML only on a completely different host, probably one of the very big ones like Digital Ocean. Then, set up an HTML page that redirects to your offer link after 3-4 seconds, and make sure your web logs are set up correctly or install Google Analytics on that page.
Then, send the traffic like so:
Traffic source -> Original lander -> Webserver with HTML . The webserver will then redirect to your offer.
You should then be able to check either the logs or analytics to see how many clicks are coming from your tracking setup, which will tell you if the click drop-off is happening within your tracking at all.
This might sound complicated, but aside from the cost of the traffic, it’d be very cheap and fast to set up – about 1 hr and $5 for the new VPS.
Let me know if you need more detail there!
That is brilliant Caurmen. This would be worth doing for issues down the line anyway.
I actually think it might be an issue at the source. I’m working with them to sort it out.
If it is the source clicks out is a weird one. I noticed someone else had a similar issue so we’ll see how we go.