As the title says, I’m not a newbie when it comes to adult, been doing it fulltime since 2001. However I have always wanted to learn the paid-traffic game instead of just relying on free traffic and affiliates. So even though I read and learn like a maniac when something catch my interest, I know that in this game the most important thing is to really try out the theories for real – in live campaigns and then just test-test-test and tweak… You may consider my first paid campaign as I was starting out as a newbie, because I might have some "stupid" questions along the way
Ok, this is my plan:
I will mostly only promote my own offers. That way I have more control of the whole funnel and would be able to optimize not only the ads and LPs but also the offer-pages with layout, prices, payment options etc. Hopefully that will be a big advantage when starting out. I operate in GEO and microniche-markets where the traffic might be a little limited, but the conversion rate have been good due to limited competition.
Chosen traffic-source: PlugRush (Was considering TrafficJunky, but thought I’d try PlugRush first and hopefully master that one. If I succeed I can scale to TrafficJunky)
Ad-type: Will start with plugs. If successful, I will also try out their pop-unders, blind, mobile etc.
Tools: I just bought CPVlab and Landing Page Genious, which both seem to have good reputations.
Server: I have a dedicated server located in Amsterdam. The speed will probably not be a problem.
I have about 40 different adult offers (separate paysites), so I have a lot to chose from. I will start with just one of them and do my best to get the campaign profitable before I hopefully can scale and move on to the next offer.
A few n00b-questions before I get started with my first campaign:
1) Since I will be using Landing Page Genious for multi variate testing, I know I will have to gather a lot more data before I can come to conclusions about what’s the most profitable setup. I thought I’d vary the following variations first:
LP small icons/images added to the page
LP image/photo matching the niche of the offer/paysite
LP button (sending the visitor to the offer)
a) Now my question is, should I add a limited amount of variations to each (like 5-19 headlines) and then, after finding the winners add 10-20 more to compete with the winners? Adding 30 different headlines etc right away is probably not too smart for a first time campaign where I’m just testing the waters?
b) Would you recommend me to only test maybe 2-3 of the variables above at the same time with Landing Page Genious and then test the others? (For example start with BG + Headline + Image). Adding all variables at the same time might end up taking "forever" to get significal stats.. I want to do this properly and not jump to any conclusions too fast.
2) Since I also own the offer, I have more control. But this also give me a lot of more questions. For example:
a) What should I test and optimize first: Ads, LPs or Offer-page?
b) How many versions should I create for the offer-page (paysite tour that is)? I was planning 3 different versions with pretty different layouts. The different campaigns/angles might convert differently on each offer-layouts.
3) Since I also control the prices and payment-options on the offer-pages I believe that this can also have huge effect on total ROI and conversion rates. In that regard I’m wondering:
a) Would you create different camapaigns and offer-pages to split-test payment methods, like: A) Creditcard only B) SMS only C) Surfer chose Creditcard or SMS (I will definately have a lot higher conversion rate on SMS than creditcard, but with SMS the telecom-companies take like 50% of the share so what’s most profitable can vary. Besides, for SMS there are no rebilling, so thats a huge drawback compared to creditcard-billing.
b) Which of the 3 payment-options above would you start to offer on your first campaign? On one hand I believe that giving surfers more payment-options will increase conversionrate. I could also offer high-rate phone-billing. On the other hand, giving too many options the surfers might get confused and just close the site. Input?
4) Mobile marketing is getting bigger each day. I’ve been in the mobile business myself for a few years back and know that the market I operate in are huge for mobile. With that in mind, would you think I would be more successful at buying mobile traffic, sending them to a responsive / mobile-optimized LP and offer-page, and have SMS-billing as only payment-option would be a quicker and more easy way to success than starting out with plug web traffic as described above?
5) Have you experienced that when owning the offer yourself it can be even more profitable to send the surfers directly to your offer-page instead of using a LP? I mean since you can create several different offer-page-versions, you might as well just optimize a version of the offer-page itself rather than using a LP? Plan to test both with and without LPs…
6) What kind of advice would you give to minimize the problem with competitors stealing your campaigns and figuring out too much? What kind of protections would you always do? Watermarks, no-right-clicking, hide links..? (And how do you hide your links in CPVlab / Landing page genious? Is that even important when I own the offer myself?)
I know my niches very well and I came up with a huge list of different angles I could use for each offer. This is very exciting, but I have a feeling I have no idea what a huge project it would be to try out all those angles. If if turn out well I guess that would not be a problem though
Ok, I think I’ll stop with the questions now or else no one would have time to read through it all. I would be very happy if someone would kindly share some input or advice for my very first paid traffic campaign in adult. I’m both nervous and very very excited to get started!
Each placement is different. Remember that if something works on one spot theres no guarantee it will work on another spot. Having a background in adult i bet we have a lot to chat about
Yeah, not sure what spots are "safest" to start with for testing the waters.. But since I’ll start with Plugrush plugs, I won’t have to think too much about that yet, compared to TrafficJunky I guess.
Nice with some fellow backgrounds yes