So you’ve got your first consistently profitable campaign? Congratulations!
This lesson will teach you what to do next – because the work, and the profit, is just beginning.
Here’s the most important thing to know about having a successful campaign: you should not take this as a signal to chill out.
If you’ve got a successful campaign rolling, now’s the time to milk it for all it’s worth. Campaigns die as fast as they are created, and most of your campaign ideas won’t work out – so when you have one that does, it’s time to double down and push it as hard as possible.
And there’s only one rule about scaling: if you think you’ve scaled as much as you can, there’s always more to go.
Ways To Scale
There are tons of ways to scale – and you should investigate all of them.
- Spend more! If there’s more traffic to be had by raising your daily budget on your working campaign, make sure you’re maxing that out.
- Bid higher! If you’re not in the top spot already, try bidding higher and seeing if you can raise your volume. Keep an eye on your ROI while doing this, though!
- Ask for bumps! If you’re doing volume and the advertiser’s happy with your quality, push hard for pay bumps on your offer. They’re pure profit!
- Explore all placements!If there are more placement options on your traffic source, try ’em all! For example, if you’re only doing 110x80s on POF, try all the other placement options too: profile ads, IABs, the works. They may need some tweaking to work – don’t give up after one round of ads.
- Try other sites! If you’re on a source like TrafficJunkie that offers multiple sites to advertise on, scale your campaign out to similar sites. Again, remember, you’ll need to do a bit of optimisation to get them to work.
- Keep split-testing! Don’t stop split-testing when you hit profitability. Keep testing LPs, keep testing new offers, and keep testing ads. Here’s an example where Maynzie doubled his ROI to 310% by continuing to split-test.
- Make more campaigns! If there’s more volume you could occupy on your current slot, make more campaigns for it! You can either duplicate campaigns or – my preference – create the same campaign but with new, similar ads. That tends to reduce burnout. If you’re on POF, separate the bids for each campaign by 2-3 cents to avoid competing with yourself.
- Think about going direct! If you can go direct with the advertiser, get in touch with them and ask what rates they’d offer you. Going direct can be a double-edged sword – you’ll get paid slower and sometimes treated worse than you would with a network, but you can make much more money.
- Try other countries! If your offer is available in other countries, or if there are similar offers in other countries, try new campaigns there. Don’t half-arse this – get translations done properly, and if you’re switching between same-language countries, change slang appropriately.
- Try other targeting! If your traffic source offers targeting options, explore all of them. Older, younger, male, female, different ages, different interests, and so on. Try anything and everything your offer will accept.
- Try other traffic sources! Running on TrafficJunkie? Try Exoclick as well! Running on one mobile source? Try some others! And try further afield too – can you make your Facebook campaign work on POF? Sure, why not?
And if you’ve tried all of those and think you’ve run out of ways to scale, come ask on the forums and we’ll think of some more things to try!
Scaling’s a bit of an art – here are some useful tips when you’re getting started.
- Don’t get discouraged. Your first attempt or two to scale may not work – keep at it and you’ll find ones that do.
- Don’t go crazy. Scale steadily – don’t go from $10 a day to $1000 a day in a single day. Try doubling your spend and see if profits remain constant first.
- Read Secrets Of Super High Volume Affiliates. One of STM’s all time greatest threads, the Secrets Of Super High Volume Affiliates, is filled with nuggets of pure gold for scaling.
- Keep in touch with your AM and advertiser. If you’re scaling up, chances are that means you’re making more money for your AM too – so stay in close communication, and make it clear you want to make this a long-term thing. If they’re good, your AM will be able to give you all sorts of tips and info to maximise your scaling potential.
- Keep an eye on quality. Don’t ignore quality while you’re scaling like crazy – nothing sucks more than being thrown off an offer you’re about to scale through the roof. Get your AM to ask your advertiser for feedback regularly.
- DON’T SLACK OFF. It’s awesome to be making $100 a day, but it won’t last forever. Scale it to $1,000 a day, then relax when the crazy ride finally comes to an end and the campaign dies. THAT’s the time to go hang out on a beach for a bit.
You’re Now An Experienced Affiliate!
And that’s it! If you’ve gotten through all 13 parts of this guide, you now have more knowledge than most affiliates out there – and if you’ve been creating campaigns as you follow along, you’ve got more experience too!
Get out there, run a Follow-Along, try new offers and new angles, keep split-testing, and
BONUS ADVICE – No, Really, Don’t Relax! – Advice From A Super-Affiliate
It’s easy to get this wrong! You’ve got a profitable campaign doing $1k a day for some time and you think you made it.
You start multiplying that number by 30 to see monthly potential income ( underline potential ) and sometimes that number by 12.
It doesn’t work that way…
When you have something doing well MILK IT! It’s not going to last for long , that’s how affiliate marketing works.
It’s way easier to scale a winning campaign then coming up with a brand new campaign doing the same numbers.
I have been guilty of this in the past, but not anymore. When I have a winner I put even more effort than when I test new stuff. "
Simple and easy to understand.. still got a lot of things to learn though..
just went thru all the lessons, i have to say this is all GREAT stuff and there is a lot to be learnt but I will. Thanks!
We are not arrogant people in the slightest, but STM truly is the greatest affiliate resource of all time…:P
caurmen, thank you for this tutorial! Just went through it the first time, and once I get couple of things figure out, I’ll jump on in and create my first campaign!